VEHICLES SUBJECT TO INSPECTION:
- All vehicles of various types used on public roads of the K.S.A, are subjected to the Regulations and Rules of the periodic inspection at the authorized stations. This shall also include the official vehicles except the Army vehicles which are used for military purposes.
- Types of vehicles subject to the Periodic Inspection:
- Private Vehicles
- Public transport vehicles, trailers and semi-trailers
- Private transport vehicles
- Diplomatic mission vehicles
- Types of vehicles exempted from the Periodic Inspection:
- Vehicles with unloaded axle exceeding 10,000 kg.( receive site inspection) are no longer exempted.
- Vehicles of less than 300 mm wheel diameter.
- Vehicles of more than 1500 mm wheel diameter.
- Earth moving equipment such as tracked vehicles, shovels, bulldozers.
- Brand new vehicles which are imported to the K.S.A. and are not old a period of more than one year effective from the date of its custom card are subject to the inspection before completion of sale and registration procedures by the Agent, Distributor, Vehicles showroom or any vehicles sales dealer.
- Second-hand vehicles registered abroad and brought to the KSA are subject to the inspection before handling the request for issuing Saudi Plates.
- Vehicles from countries where a vehicle inspection program is applicable and show valid inspection sticker are allowed to be used in the K.S.A., for a period not exceeding the validity of its sticker, unless the concerned owner or his delegate ask for inspection at the authorized stations in the K.S.A.
- Vehicles without inspection sticker whether brought from countries where a vehicle inspection programme is applicable or note, shall not be allowed to operate in the K.S.A., unless an undertaking is given by the concerned owner or his delegate. This undertaking will include that the vehicle(s) will be taken to the nearest authorized station for inspection.
- In regardless of the validity of the latest inspection sticker, each vehicle shall be subjected to the inspection on the following cases:
- After necessary repairs required upon a traffic accident.
- Upon any major modification in the vehicle engine, chassis, color or any other changes necessitate update of its registration license.
PERIODICITY OF INSPECTION:
- Private vehicles are subject to the periodic inspection annually after one year from the date of its first registration.
- Taxis, transport vehicles of all types, buses, trailers and semi-trailers are subject to the Periodic Inspection annually after one year from the date of its first registration and through-out three years thereafter.
- Taxis, transport vehicles of all types, buses, trailers and semi-trailers are subject to the Periodic Inspection every six months after three years from the date of its registration.
- Diplomatic mission vehicles shall undergo the Periodic Inspection in conformity with paragraph (20/1, 20/2, 20/3) above.
- Motorcycles of all types shall be subjected to the Periodic Inspection annually.
- All pilgrim (Hajj) buses are subject to the Periodic Inspection annually prior to an appropriate period before Hajj season.
- Inspection fees shall be collected according to appendix (1) for all vehicles subject to the technical inspection and typical to the recognized schedule.
- If a vehicle fails the periodic inspection, the owner shall take an action to repair it as per the inspection report and within the period specified therein. Re-inspection shall follow against 30% of the full inspection fees.
- If a vehicles fails the re-inspection due to poor repair or as a result of determining other faulty items, the concerned owner shall pay the full inspection fees for each consecutive inspection.
- Failing to take the vehicle for re-inspection within the scheduled period, will subject the owner to payment of the full inspection fees specified in this Rule.
PARTS OF VEHICLES SUBJECT TO INSPECTION:
- Plate number as shown in the registration license.
- Model and odometer reading.
- Engine number
- Chassis number
- Engine type, number of cylinders, number of power stroke and engine capacity
The above mentioned data shall be in consistence with the registration license, otherwise the vehicles will be rejected and G.T.D. shall take the legal actions.
VISUAL TEST :
AUTOMATIC SIDE SLIP TEST
- Fog lights
- Front signal lights
- Windshield, rear glass and window glass
- Fuel tank cap
- Rear signal lights
- Tail lights
- Brake lights
- Dashboard lights
- Emergency tools
- Doors & hinges
- Rear view mirror
- Plates and how fixed
- Brake paddle
- Parking brake
- Steering wheel shaft
- Steering shaft bracket
- Seat belts
- Condition of wheels and tyres
- Wheels nuts & studs
- Body damages
- Noise and vibration level
- Dents and sharp ends on vehicle body
- Test of diesel smoke (for diesel engines)
- High speed alarm (for 1985 model and successive models)
- Main electric wiring
Side Slip Test will be done to the front axle and expressed in meters per kilometers (M/Km).
Note: Side-Slip Criteria:
AUTOMATIC BRAKE TEST :
- From: 0-3 M/Km, the vehicle is considered passed and scored an excellent result.
- From: 3-5 M/Km is considered a caution result.
AUTOMATIC HEADLIGHTS TEST :
- Front Brake and middle axles are to be tested separately.
- Brake drag force on each wheel.
- Parking force relative to the parking brake axle.
- Mathematical comparison between the brakes force and the axle weight.
- Vehicle inspection result (PASSED OR FAILED)
Light density and deviation angle relative to the normal light axis for each headlamp.
Determination of the inspection result: (PASSED or FAILED) shall be in reference to the Saudi Standards.
CARBON DIOXIDE & HYDROCARBONES AUTOMATIC TEST :
DIESEL SMOKE AUTOMATIC TEST :
- Exhaust gas analysis to determine the connection of carbon- monoxide and hydrocarbons.
- Comparison of the results to the Saudi Standards.
- Test evaluation.
UNDERCARRIAGE (PIT) AUTO-INSPECTION :
- Diesel Smoke sample test.
- Non-Combusted hydrocarbons
- Comparison of the result to the Safety Standards.
- Test Evaluation.
- Steering ball joints
- Steering power test
- Steering idler and sectional shaft
- Brake linkage
- Brake pipes, Cylinders, hoses and other accessories
- Vibration damper (stabilizer)
- Front gearing
- Rear gearing
- Rear iron clips
- Clamp ring bolts
- Spring “U” bolts & nuts
- Spring clips
- Shock absorber
- Engine mounting
- Transmission shaft couplings
- Exhaust silencer and exhaust leakage
- Chassis frame and welding points check
- Fuel tank